Saint Arnold Fried Beer
1 Cup White Sugar
¼ Cup Pale Malt Syrup
¼ Cup St. Arnold’s Winter Stout
1 Tsp. Vanilla
2 Cups Flour (+ additional for rolling)
1 Tsp. Salt
1 Tsp. Cinnamon
¼ Tsp. Nutmeg
½ Tsp Baking Soda
½ Tsp. Baking Powder
1-1/2 Cups Oats
For the beer batter:
2 Cups Flour
1 Egg, Beaten
1 Tsp. Salt
1 Tsp. Baking Powder
~1-1/2 Cups St. Arnold’s Winter Stout
To make the dough
1. Begin by creaming the sugar and butter together with a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
2. Turn off the mixer and then add in the malt syrup, stout, egg, and vanilla. Mix until incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and baking powder.
4. While the mixer is going, alternate adding the flour and oats to the butter/sugar mixture and mix until everything is incorporated.
5. On low speed or by hand, mix in the chips until thoroughly incorporated.
6. Chill cookie in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
To make the batter
1. With a fork or whisk, mix all the dry ingredients until thoroughly incorporated.
2. Add the beer and beaten egg and mix until no large lumps appear. The mixture will have some pea-sized lumps in it but should have nothing bigger.
3. Adjust the amount of beer as necessary to achieve a consistency of thin pudding or pancake batter.
4. Allow batter to sit for 10 minutes before using.
Putting it all together
1. Take chilled cookie dough and form into a disc a little less than 2 inches in diameter and about ½ an inch thick.
2. Roll in flour until completely covered and dust off the excess.
3. Dip discs into beer batter and cover completely. Remove with a fork or slotted spoon to drain the excess batter. Be sure that the dough is completely covered by batter.
About Saint Arnold Brewing Company
Saint Arnold Brewing's ten brews are made and sold by the company’s staff of 21 dedicated employees. The brewery was listed by USA Today as one of the “10 great places to see what’s brewing in beer.” It is located at 2522 Fairway Park Drive and its brewery tour and tasting is offered every Saturday at 1:00 P.M. For more information on Saint Arnold's five year-round and five seasonal beers as well as root beer, log on to www.saintarnold.com.